To support the Festival of Nations mission,
we are guided by the following understandings:
- Arts & culture are an effective means of education, of undermining stereotypes and highlighting the common humanity that binds us all together.
- Artists & cultural leaders and personalities are frequently our inspiring agents of change, and proverbial “canaries in the coal mine”. They are authentically at the forefront in holding institutions and governments accountable and mobilizing society for positive social and political change.
- Where emerging political figures often lack the courage to condemn and objectify militant extremist strains, the arts & cultural community do not.
- Creative expression can evade censors while captivating the public, in particular the skyrocketing numbers of youth made vulnerable by extreme poverty, conflict or lack of community.
- Ideas conveyed through the arts and media can penetrate deeply into societies and spread rapidly in today’s connected, transnational world.
- The convergence of social media, mobile video technology and broadband speeds must be incorporated in arts & culture initiatives to bridge humanity like never before.